301 redirect is not a new term, especially for webmasters and developers.
For Magento stores, 301 redirects are an integral part of a process for creating products, categories, & custom relocations of any webpage.
In this post, we’re going to teach you guys everything about Magento 301 redirects including their benefits, when to use them, and how to create 301 redirects in Magento 2.
What is a Magento 301 Redirect?
Magento 301 redirect is basically a way to forward store visitors as well as bots to a new URL.
When you create a 301 redirect, it deletes the indexes of the old URL’s address and the equity of the old URL is passed to the newly created redirected page.
And this kind of change is irreversible and permanent.
So, it is important to learn everything about Magento 301 redirects before creating them in your Magento 2 store.
If you don’t, it could negatively affect your store’s crawling, indexing, and even rankings in search engines.
When to Use Magento 301 Redirects?
There are a lot of cases when marketers will have to use 301 redirects in Magento 2 stores.
Here are a couple of important scenarios where creating 301 redirects is useful:
- Moving the store to an entirely new domain without losing SEO impact.
- Migrate your store to an entirely new platform. For example – moving from Shopify to Magento 2.
- Merge two or more stores into one.
- Making changes to product attribute, store’s menu, or structure update.
- Direct traffics from multiple URLs of your store to a preferred destination for marketing purposes.
- When there is duplicate content that can hurt your rankings on search engines.
- When you’re conducting a migration from HTTP to HTTPS.
Benefits of 301 Redirects
The main benefit of 301 redirects is that they won’t let your visitors & search engine crawlers land on the 404 pages. And if any visitor clicks on the old link, they will be automatically sent to the corresponding new webpage.
Besides this, there are many other benefits of 301 redirects such as:
- Keeps your visitors engaged by redirecting them to a new webpage with updated & relevant content.
- Signals search engines that the old URL is deleted and requests search engine spiders to remove the old URL from their index and replace it with the new URL.
- Passes 95% link equity to the new page URL.
- Reduces the negative impact of the 404 error page.
How to Create 301 Redirects in Magento 2?
Please follow the below steps to learn how to create 301 redirects in Magento 2 store.
Step – 1
First of all, you need to collect all the old URLs for which you want to create 301 redirects.
The best way to do this is to write all old URLs on a Google Spreadsheet along with where they redirect to.
This will help you to organize all Magento 2 URLs efficiently and effectively.
Step – 2
After that, log in to your admin panel and navigate to Marketing > SEO & Search > URL Rewrites.
Then, click on the Add URL Rewrite button from the top-right corner as shown in the screenshot below.
Step – 3
Now, if you want to redirect a specific category, product, or CMS page with 301 redirects, then you need to select a category, product, or CMS page in the Create URL Rewrite field.
On the other hand, if you want to redirect a custom URL, then select Custom in the Create URL Rewrite field and do the following:
- Select English in the Store field
- Enter your old URL in the Request Path field.
- Enter your new 301 redirect URL in the Target Path field.
- Select Permanent (301) in the Redirect Type field.
- Write a short description of why you created the 301 redirects in the Description field.
- Lastly, click on the Save button from the top-right corner to finish the process.
Step – 4
Finally, you need to test the newly created 301 redirects. For this, you can:
- Open your Magento 2 store and try to access the old URL.
- Search the old URL in Google Search.
If the 301 redirect is successfully implemented, then you’ll be automatically redirected to the new page.
And that’s about it!
This is the easiest way to create 301 redirects in Magento 2.
We hope that you found this tutorial helpful. If you have any questions, please ask them in the comments.
And if you need our professional assistance, feel free to contact us anytime.